She is the thirteenth episode of the first season of Angel. When Angel investigates the death of a security officer in an ice factory, he winds up getting in the crossfire of a revolutionary group from another dimension.
Special Guest Star: Bai Ling (Jheira)
Co-Starring: Tracey Costello (Laura), André L. Roberson (Diego), P.J. Marino (Peter Wilkers), Honor Bliss (Girl), Chris Durand (Demon Henchman #1), Alison Simpson (Demon Girl #1), Lucas Dudley (Security Guard)
Angel finds himself helping a renegade from another dimension who has come for refuge from the men of her race who control the women through physical manipulation.
Monster of the Week
- Vigories of Oden Tal: The Vigories of Oden Tal are a race of extradimensional beings (possibly demons) who operate under a strict patriarchal society where women are subjugated due to the powers that they wield if not curbed before they can develop them. The women have the ability to channel an energy through the Ko, a ridge on the woman's upperback. This energy is much like fire and burns to the touch.
|1||Security Officer||Jheira||Burst into Flames||Jericho Ice Factory|
Music is listed in order of appearance in the episode:
- The Non-Stop Music Library - "Pure Roots"
- Morphic Field - "In Time"
- Morphic Field - "Light Years On"
- Supreme Beings of Leisure - "Strangelove Addiction"
There are several scenes with unknown music:
- The first song at Cordelia's party
- The second song (the one that Laura likes) at Cordelia's party
- The song that plays during the ending credits.
- Running Joke: Angel's inability to use the cell phone given to him by Cordelia becomes a running joke in the series.
- Wesley: Although he's been hanging around Angel's place of business for the past few episodes, he's officially hired onto Angel Investigations in this episode.
- Angel: Angel gets a cell phone in this episode, but because he's 200 years old, he struggles with it. Many laughs are had by all.
- BtVS - 2x22 - Becoming: Angel comments on how you tend to know a lot of the people in Hell. He knows this because he was sent there after Buffy was forced to kill him in the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Angel: Actually in hell you tend to know a lot of the people.
- 1x05 - Rm w/a Vu: Cordelia mentioned that her neighbor is Steve Paymer during her phone call to Aura after getting rid of the poltergeist in her home.
- Cordelia: Steve Paymer came, can you believe it?
- Crazy Credits: The ending credits for this episode have been changed for this episode. The black background has been replaced with clips of Angel and Wesley dancing awkwardly and the music is different.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 5.2/8 in the overnight Nielsen ratings. It was ranked 3rd out of the 15 WB shows which aired that week.
- Publicity: There was a great deal of indication that Jheira would become a regular character in the series, possibly the next billed character, but more likely a recurring character like Kate Lockley. That never happened.
Allusions and References
- Carrie: In the Stephen King novel, Carrie, Carrie White is a high school girl who is constantly picked on by the other kids at school. After an incident at the prom, Carrie goes off the deep end and uses her telekinetic powers to trap everyone inside a burning building, killing many of them.
- Cordelia: Did she Carrie you?
- Nancy Mitford: Nancy Mitford was a novelist and biographer during the early 20th century. Her novels particularly revolved around upper-class life in England, but she also wrote three biographies that were very well received. Incidentally, in reality, there is no such thing as Nancy's Petticoat.
- Wesley: Look! Nancy's Petticoat. Oh. They're quite rare. They were named for Nancy Mitford, the author.
- (at Cordelia's party)
- Cordelia: Hi! You having fun?
- Angel: Sure. This is, um...
- Cordelia: Your idea of Hell.
- Angel: Actually, in Hell you tend to know a lot of the people.
- Wesley: (to Angel) What say a couple of brooding demon hunters start chatting up some of the fillies?
- Cordelia: I'm so glad you came. You know how parties are. You're always worried that no one's gonna suck the energy out of the room like a giant black hole of boring despair. But there you were, in the clinch!
- Angel: I didn't... Boring?
- Cordelia: You used to be a person! Did you never party? Did people not gather in olden times?
- Angel: I talked to people. Laura.
- Cordelia: Okay, Laura thought you hated her. I had to tell her you were challenged.
- Angel: I got two modes with people: bite and avoid.
- Angel: Still, I mean, the quiet reserved thing. Don't you think it makes me, kinda, I don't know, cool?
- Cordelia: (as Wesley walks in) He was cooler.
- Wesley: Good morning.
- Angel: Oh. Now I'm depressed.
- Angel: He's not from our dimension.
- Wesley: Ah. They must come to ours via portals.
- Cordelia: Portals? There are portals now? When did they put in portals? Don't we have enough on our hands without burning monster-fiends coming here?
- Wesley: Perhaps we need a plan
- Angel: Here's the plan: we go in, I start hitting people hard in the face. See where it takes us.
- Cordelia: Wow. Groveling isn’t just a way of life for you. It's an art.
- Wesley: I do not grovel. (to Angel) Please don’t fire me. What happened yesterday was an anomaly. I’m very rarely taken hostage.