Arrested Development/The British Bombshell
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
The British Bombshell is the second episode of the third season of Arrested Development, and the forty-second episode overall.
Guest Stars: Justin Grant Wade (Steve Holt), Rory Knox Johnston (Ian), Golde Starger (Lionel's Mom), Steve Stapenhorst (Judge), Clinton Leupp (Coco), B.W. Gonzalez (Lupe), Jonathan Schmock (Lionel), Harry Hamiln (himself), John Beard (himself), Dave Thomas (Trevor), Charlize Theron (Rita)
- No Touching: Michael tells Lucille more touching when George Sr is put under house arrest
- Winks: Lucille's wink returns
- Missing Kitty: "Daddy horny." This time it's Lucille who's inappropriately aroused
- Motherboy XXX: The Merry Poppuns doll rolls down the line like Buster
- Chicken Dance: First appearance of George Sr's chicken impersonation, Lindsay, Lucille and GOB get in the act as well
- Top Banana Michael tells Lindsay she's gonna get some live-ins when he gives her the cabin car mirroring his dialogue when he gives her the stair car
- Ratings: households: 2.7/4, #13; adults 18-49: 1.9, #12
- When Michael is floored by Merry Poppuns, a Jack the Ripper inspired poem is visible on a placard behind him. It reads:
- Please stay off
- my landing port
- I'm not the
- tourist killing sort...
- but if you have a
- working girl to kill
- Please let her stay
- while I do my will.
- Please stay off
- Disclaimer:, “Ms. Poppuns is an original creation of Wee Britain and is in no way meant to invoke the character of the popular novel, musical or stage show ‘Mary Poppins’. Our Ms. Poppuns has neither the trade-markable qualities of being a nanny nor the power of flight, but instead is a cleaning woman who transports herself with the aid of a guide wire and a sturdy cane as she fights the likes of Jack the Ripper every weekday at quarter past and half after every odd Greenwich mean hour.”
- Another sign in Wee Britain is for Fat Ammy's promising "American Style Food"
- Alia Shawkat aka Maeby appears only in the previously on Arrested Development segment.
Behind the Scenes
- Awards: For her role as Rita in this episode, Charlize Theron was nominated for an IVy Award for the 2005-06 season for Best Guest Actor or Actress in a Comedy Series.
Allusions and References
- Wee Britain: The opposite of Great Britain
- Harry Hamlin: Harry Hamilin played a lawyer on LA Law
- Andy Griffith: Andy Griffith played a lawyer on Matlock, and a sherriff on The Andy Griffith Show alongside Ron Howard. Hence Howard as the Narrator saying "No one was making fun of Andy Griffith. I can't emphasize that enough."
- Brad Garrett: Jeffrey Tambor was up for the Best Supporting Actor Emmy against the winner Brad Garrett
- Jack the Ripper: The infamous British criminal who raped and viciously murdered several prostitutes
- Merry Poppuns: A take on Mary Poppins, misspelled due to licensing issues
- Saddam picture: George Sr's meeting with Saddam mirrors Donald Rumsfeld's
- The Soup Nazi: George Sr. Says he thought Saddam Hussein was the guy who played the Soup Nazi, who was a character in a famous Seinfeld episode. The actor who played the Soup Nazi, Larry Thomas, is a dark-haired mustached man, who bears at least a vague resemblance to the Iraqi dictator.
- For Your Eyes Only: There are a number of parodies of the James Bond movie, For Your Eyes Only, including the constant use of the "For British Eyes Only" song, Michael's repeated attempts to be suave and British, Dave Thomas's threats, the staging of his appearance in the episode and the ending. The film centers around Agent 007 (Roger Moore) hunting for a lost British encryption device. The significance of this, if any, is yet to be known. The promised return of Michael Bluth is another reference to early James Bond films which stated the title of the next movie in the series.
- Michael: There's no satellite radio, but there's a banjo in the closet. And, watch out for live-ins. You will get some live-ins.
- Sales"woman": Oh, look who's back. Are you going to buy this time, or you just curious?
Tobias: I suppose I'm...ah..."buy"-curious. I have a TV opportunity.
Sales"woman": Well this is where all the big TV's come.
- GOB: My God, what is this feeling?
Michael: You know the feeling that you're feeling is what many of us call a feeling.
GOB: It's not like envy...or even hungry.
Michael: Could it be love?
GOB: I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite. It's like my heart is getting hard.
- Buster: Can't you keep my hand to yourself?!!
- Tobias: Oh, I can just taste those meaty leading man parts in my mouth.
- Tobias: GOB, I know you're looking for a twin for your illusion, and there's somebody I'd like to put in a plug for. Correction: make that 4000 plugs. [Tobias takes of his hat, reavealing a bloody scalp with hair plugs]
Lupe: Mr. Gay, he is bleeding! Mr. Gay!