Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Goodbye, Iowa
Goodbye, Iowa is the fourteenth episode of the fourth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the seventieth episode overall.
Guest Starring: Amber Benson (Tara Maclay), George Hertzberg (Adam), Leonard Roberts (Forrest Gates), Bailey Chase (Graham Miller), Jack Stehlin (Dr. Angleman), JB Gaynor (Little Boy), Saverio Guerra (Willy), Emma Caulfield (Anya)
In the wake of Walsh's murder, cracks begin showing in Riley's worldview. Buffy and the Initiative scramble to find the demon responsible, unaware that the true murderer is the first step in a secret project Walsh herself was brewing up.
Monster of the Week
Adam makes his presence known to The Initiative and Buffy. When he confronts them, he explains that he's a "kinematically redundant, bio-mechanical demonoid" constructed out of demons, a human and machines. After fighting him, Buffy admits to Willow that he's smart, fast and strong enough that her attacks did nothing to faze him.
- The Initiative: According to Dr. Angleman, the soldiers in The Initiative had been eating drugged food for an undetermined amount of time. The drug, presumably some kind of steroid, is strong enough and addictive enough to cause severe withdrawal symptoms in Riley, who goes without the drug during the fallout of Walsh's death.
Behind the Scenes
- International: Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been dubbed into many different languages and the title translated for each different international version. Some international translations of this episode's title are:
- French: "Stress"
- Italian: "La fabbrica dei mostri" ("The Factory of Monsters")
- German: "Die Kampfmaschine" ("The Fight Machine")
- Spanish: "Adiós, Iowa" ("Goodbye, Iowa")
Allusions and References
- In the previous episode Spike received a hole in the back of his shirt from the tracer bullet, but picking up where this episode left off, the hole has completely disappeared.
- Angleman slips in Walsh's blood and finds his hands covered in it. However, it is clear that his hands do not actually encounter the pool of blood when he hits the floor.
- After Buffy gives Riley her bandanna from her hair, it reappears in her hair in one following shot.
- Spike: (commenting to Buffy on her relationship with Riley) Got to hand it to you, Goldilocks. You do have bleedin' tragic taste in men. I got a cousin, married to a regurgitating Frolopse demon's got better instincts than you.
- Willow: Buffy, it's not your fault. How could you know?
- Giles: She's right. You mustn't blame yourself.
- Buffy: I'm not going to. I'm going to the crime scene to see what I can find out. You guys research the Polgara demon. I want to know where it is. When I find it, I am going to make him pay for taking that kid's life. I'll make him die in ways he can't even imagine.
- (dramatic music score dies out; everyone just looks at her for a beat, unmoved by her passionate speech before Buffy notices their looks and glances down)
- Buffy: That probably would have sounded more commanding if I wasn't wearing my yummy sushi pyjamas.