Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Something Blue
Something Blue is the ninth episode of the fourth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the sixty-fifth episode overall.
Still hurting from Oz's departure, Willow attempts to ease her pain with a spell. However, it goes awry, granting her wishes without her knowledge. This causes problems while Giles and Buffy are trying to pry information about the Initiative from Spike.
Monster of the Week
The chief antagonist in this episode is Willow and her unfocused spell which causes chaos in her friends' lives. Her spell which allows her will to be done makes Giles blind, turns Spike and Buffy into a married couple and Xander into a "demon magnet". She also manages to turn Amy from a rat into a human being and back into a rat in a matter of seconds.
She also comes into contact with D'Hoffryn, who is impressed by her completely inadvertent vengeance spell and offers to make her a vengeance demon. He made the same offer to Anya 1120 years ago after she was scorned by a man and cast some vengeance spells to get back at him (she specifically mentions "boils on the penis"). He resides in Arashmahar, the birth place of demons, and although he accepts Willow's decision to go back home as a human, he does leave her with a talisman that acts as his business card in case she changes her mind.
- "All The Small Things" by Blink-182: The song that Willow dances to at the Bronze is "All The Small Things" by Blink-182 off their 1999 album Enema of the State. The song is one of two by the band to make it to #1 on the Billboard US Modern Rock charts.
- Sue Willett - "Night Time Company"
- 4x05 - Beer Bad: When the gang realizes that Willow is drunk, Buffy mentions her own previous lurid incident involving beer which turned her into "Cave Buffy". The beer, thanks to an added ingredient by the angry bartender, caused the drinkers to intellectually regress to the state of cave men.
- Buffy: Anyone remember when Buffy had the fun beer-fest and went one-million years B.C.?
- 4x06 - Wild at Heart: After Willow caught Oz and Veruca together in Oz's cage, she became irrational and attempted a spell that would have ultimately caused both of them to never feel love again. She stopped the spell before the culmination and was mocked by Veruca for her spinelessness.
- Willow: And I didn't have the guts to do the spell on Veruca...
- 3x11 - Gingerbread: Amy Madison turned herself into a rat to escape a mob of Sunnydale adults who were attempting to burn her, Buffy and Willow at the stake. She has been stuck in rat form ever since and Willow has been unsuccessful in turning her back, aside from momentarily in this episode.
- Willow: The only real witch here is fuzzy little Amy.
- 1x04 - Teacher's Pet: Before turning him into a "demon magnet", Willow commented snidely on Xander's choice in women. Specifically, she brings up the "insect lady"—a praying mantis demon posing as an attractive substitute teacher. Xander was enticed by the demon's pheromones and nearly decapitated when the demon tried to mate with him.
- Willow: Let's look at your bio. Insect Lady...
- 2x04 - Inca Mummy Girl: Xander's second demon girlfriend, which Willow also brings up, was a mummy posing as a foreign exchange student. The mummy nearly killed him as well, also in a romantic gesture, because her kiss would have sucked the life force out of him.
- Willow: ...Mummy Girl...
Behind the Scenes
- International: Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been dubbed into many different languages and the title translated for each different international version. Some international translations of this episode's title are:
- French: "Le mariage de Buffy" ("Buffy's Wedding")
- Italian: "Qualcosa di blu" ("Something Blue")
- German: "Mein Wille Geschehe" ("My Will be Done")
- Spanish: "Algo Triste" ("Something Sad")
Allusions and References
- Giles: We can't let you go until we're sure that you're impotent or --
- Spike: Hey!
- Giles: Sorry, poor choice of words. Until we know that you're...
- Buffy: Flaccid?
- Spike: You are one step away, missy!
- Buffy: Giles, help! He's gonna scold me.
- Anya: (about Oz) I only wish I had my powers back. I'd liquefy his entrails for her.
- Xander: That's sweet.
- Buffy: Wow. Way to rebound.
- Xander: I believe that's the dance of a brave little toaster.
- Buffy: Giles! I accidentally killed Spike! That's okay, right?
- Spike: Fabulous. Enjoy your honeymoon with the Big Pile of Dust.
- Buffy: (to Giles) But this day is about family, my real family. And I would like you to be the one to give me away.
- Giles: Oh. Buffy... I... That's so... Oh, for God's sake! This is nonsense.
- Buffy: Do you want to be "William the Bloody"? Or just "Spike"? 'Cause, either way, it's gonna look majorly weird.
- Spike: Whereas the name "Buffy" gives it that touch of classic elegance.
- Buffy: What's wrong with "Buffy"?
- Giles: Huh! Such a good question.
- (Xander waves his hands in front of Giles's face)
- Giles: Stop whatever you're doing. You smell like fruit roll-ups.
- Buffy: Spike and I are getting married!
- Xander: How? What? How?
- Giles: Three excellent questions.
- Spike: What are you looking at?
- Buffy: The man I love.
- Xander: Can I be blind, too?
- Spike: I'm not the one who wanted "Wind Beneath My Wings" for the first dance.
- Buffy: That was the spell.