Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Who Are You? (2)
Who Are You? (2) is the sixteenth episode of the fourth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the seventy-second episode overall.
Guest Starring: Kristine Sutherland (Joyce Summers), Amber Benson (Tara Maclay), Leonard Roberts (Forrest Gates), George Hertzberg (Adam), Chet Grissom (Detective), Alastair Duncan (Collins), Emma Caulfield (Anya)
Uncredited: Craig Patton (E.R. Doctor)
Having swapped bodies with Buffy, Faith sets out to cause mischief and bask in the spoils of being a good girl.
In the meantime, Buffy, trapped in Faith's body, tries to escape custody of the Watchers Council, as Adam begins gaining followers.
Monster of the Week
This episode continues the plot begun in the last episode and touches on why Buffy and Faith switched bodies. According to Willow, the device Faith used must have instigated a Draconian Katra spell. The only way to reverse the change was to use a Katra conjured by her and Tara and clasping hands to return their "souls" (for lack of a better word) to their original bodies.
|5||Vampire||Riley||Thrown Into Sunlight||Church|
- "Vivian" by Nerf Herder: The song that plays while "Buffy" is dancing at The Bronze is "Vivian" by Nerf Herder. Nerf Herder, in the context of the show, is most well known for writing and performing the opening theme song. The song is the first off their second album, How to Meet Girls.
- The Cure - "Watching Me Fall"
- Headland - "Sweet Charlotte Rose"
- Watchers Council: Introduced in the last episode, the trio representing the Watchers Council is a special ops unit that handles the council's under the table work. To name a few, Giles mentions interrogations, smuggling and "wetwork" (which Anya points out is a euphemism for murder). When the Council is unable to grant them safe passage to England, they knowingly sanction her killing.
- Big Bad: Adam recruits a pack of vampires when he sees himself in their predicament of being demons in human bodies, unable to live comfortably in either world. He declared that because they have fear of death, yet are immortal, they are a paradox. He sends them into their most feared place, during the daylight, as a message to the world but are all killed.
- Willow' and Tara: Faith, in Buffy's body, becomes the first person to realize that Willow and Tara are in a romantic relationship when she states bluntly that "Willow's not driving stick anymore." She's one of two characters who figure it out on their own, with the other being Spike.
- Tara: After sabotaging two spells purposefully in the past, Tara shows a real knowledge about magic that is different from Willow's.
- 3x15 - Consequences: Wesley tried to capture Faith and deport her to England where she was to stand trial before the Watcher's Council after she accidentally killed the deputy mayor. She easily broke free from his captivity and turned almost immediately to the Mayor's side.
- "Buffy": Well yeah, because it worked so well when Wesley tried it.
- 1x06 - The Pack: While on a field trip to the zoo, a hyena spirit possessed a group of bullies and Xander. They picked on the weaker students, like Jonathan, and the bullies (minus Xander) killed and ate the principal of the school.
- Willow: You didn't sense a hyena energy, did you?
- Crossover: Faith's escape from Sunnydale is continued in the Angel episode "Five by Five" when she goes to Los Angeles looking for help. The story arc concludes in the episode which follows that, "Sanctuary".
Behind the Scenes
- International: Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been dubbed into many different languages and the title translated for each different international version. Some international translations of this episode's title are:
- French: "Une revenante, deuxième partie" ("A Ghost, Part 2")
- Italian: "Chi sei?" ("Who Are You?")
- German: "Im Körper des Feindes" ("In Body of the Enemy")
- Spanish: "¿Quién eres tú?" ("Who Are You?")
Allusions and References
- Joyce: But, um, maybe we could spend some time together soon? Some night when I'm not being held hostage by a raving psychotic.
- Faith: Why, yes, I would be Buffy. May I help you? Buf-fy. You can't do that - it's wrong. You can't do that because it's naughty. Because it's wrong. Because it's wrong. You can't do that. It's wrong, I'll kick your ass. I'm gonna kill you.
- Willow: Buffy's like my best friend, and she's really special, plus, you know, a Slayer, that's a deal, and there's the whole bunch of us, and we have this group thing that kind of revolves around the slaying and I really want you to meet them and meet Buffy but I just sort of like having something that's just, you know, mine. I don't usually use that many words to say stuff that little. But do you get it at all?
- Tara: I do.
- Willow: Well, I should check in with Giles, get a situation update.
- Tara: I am, you know.
- Willow: What?
- Tara: Yours.
- Faith: Cops took her off my hands about an hour ago. Poetic justice.
- Anya: How's that?
- Faith: Well, she did all those crimes, and now she's being arrested. I guess that's just regular justice.
- Faith: Faith is evil.
- Willow: Yeah, I hope they throw the book at her.
- Giles: I'm not sure there is a book for this.
- Willow: They could throw other things.
- Willow: I wish those Council guys would let me have an hour alone in the room with her... if I was larger and had grenades.
- Anya: So what you're saying is that everything's fine?
- Giles: Um, yes.
- Anya: Well, I'm glad you called us all here because that information could never be conveyed by telephone.
- Anya: We were going to light a bunch of candles and have sex near them.
- Faith: Well, we certainly don't want to cut into that seven minutes.
- Anya: Hey!
- Xander: I believe that's my "hey." Hey!
- Willow: The Bronze is the coolest place in Sunnydale. Of course, there's not a lot of competition. I think the vending machine at Burgin's came in second.
- Willow: We'll get together with Buffy another time. Sometime soon. I think you'll really like her.
- Tara: She's not your friend.
- Willow: I may have overestimated the "you liking her" factor.
- Buffy: Okay, Giles, you have to listen to me very carefully. I'm not Faith.
- Giles: Really?
- Buffy: Really.
- Giles: 'Cause the resemblance is striking.
- Giles: If you are Buffy, then you'll let me tie you up... without killing me... until we find out whether you're telling the truth.
- Buffy: Giles, Faith has taken my body, and for all I know she's taken it to Mexico by now. I don't have time for bondage fun.
- Buffy: Oh, when I had psychic power I heard my mother think that you were like a stevedore during sex. Do you want me to continue?
- Giles: Actually, I beg you to stop.
- Buffy: What's a stevedore?
- Giles: Damn it, man, we have to get inside! Our, um, uh... our families are in there! Our, um, mothers, and tiny, tiny babies!