Commander in Chief/At a Glance
From The TV IV
- Full Name: Commander in Chief
- Premiere Date: September 27, 2005
- Finale Date: June 14, 2006
- Networks: ABC (2005-2006)
- Was originally planned to have Joan Allen cast in the role of the President, following her role as the first female Vice President in the movie The Contender. When she declined, creator Rod Lurie had the name of the President changed to Allen. Additionally, former President Teddy Bridges is named for Jeff Bridges, who played the President in the film.
- Creator Rod Lurie was fired from the day to day running of the show early in the first season, officially due to the show being behind schedule (but rumored to be related to Lurie's intent to include a violent sex scene involving the President's teenage daughter). Steven Bochco took over as show runner, but Lurie retained his executive producer credit.
- When the show returned after a long hiatus it had trouble regaining its previously good ratings and become a victim of the 2006 cancellations. It has been said that Commander in Chief's rise and fall (complete with high highs and low lows) has been one of the quickest in recent television history.