Steven Wright: When the Leaves Blow Away
Steven Wright: When the Leaves Blow Away (2006) is a stand-up comedy special starring comedian Steven Wright. It is Wright's first televised stand-up special since 1991's Steven Wright: Wicker Chairs and Gravity, and it aired on Comedy Central.
Starring: Steven Wright (Himself)
Features Wright's trademark deadpan one-liners, non-sequiturs and bizarro anecdotes. Also features three songs performed by Wright on the guitar: "I Think the Kitten's Trying to Kill Me," "Mumbled Song" and "Eddie Was a Friend of Mine."
- Location: Filmed at the Historic Elgin Theater in Toronto, Ontario.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Fenway Park: The stadium in Wright's native Boston where the Boston Red Sox play their home games.
- Steven Wright: Then I was imagining me and her running naked across Fenway Park, holding hands and the crowd cheering, "Go! Go! Gooo!"
- Nicolas Cage: American movie star who popular from the 1980s through the 2000s for his work in such films as Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas and Ghost Rider.
- Steven Wright: I think it stars Nicolas Cage....
- Hayley Mills: American actress most popular as a child actress in the early 1960s for her appearances in such Disney films as Pollyanna, The Parent Trap and That Darn Cat!.
- Steven Wright: ... And Hayley Mills.
- Pink Floyd: English psychedelic rock band popular in the 1970s whose music has since been used for several laser shows.
- Steven Wright: One good thing about it though, the color of my urine is amazing! It's like goin' to a laser show. I go in there; I shut the lights off; I put Pink Floyd on.
- Steven Wright: When I was a little kid, I wish the first word I ever said was the word "quote," so right before I died, I could say, "Unquote."
- Steven Wright: She wrote me this beautiful letter, and I read it, and at the bottom, I crossed her name off, and I wrote my own name, and I sent it back to her. And I never heard from her ever again. Apparently, she didn't like what she wrote.
- Steven Wright: Today I was talkin' to myself. I was very polite and cordial, but I could tell I was lyin'. Under my breath, I said, "You're full of [bleeped]." Then I said, "What?" And I said, "Nothin'."
- Steven Wright: Last night, I was in a restaurant called Bulimia's. The line for the bathroom was incredible.
- Steven Wright: I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't matter.
- Steven Wright: A friend of mine has a trophy wife, but apparently, it wasn't first place.
- Steven Wright: Yesterday I returned a movie. The people at the theater were pissed.
- Steven Wright: When I was seven, my parents had a party, and I went around to all the guests with a glass of water, and I said, "Here, drink this. This is a magic glass of water. If you drink this, you all get a little bit taller." And they all drank some, and they thought, "Oh, isn't this a weird kid?" And when they all drank some and went back to what they were doin', I went to the room where they keep all the coats, and I hemmed all the sleeves two inches. They were all freakin' out when they left.
- Steven Wright: It was the first time I was ever in love, and I learned a lot. Before that, I never even thought about killin' myself.
- Steven Wright: I have a paper cut from writing my suicide note. It's a start.