Supernatural/Dead in the Water
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.|
Please help out by editing it.
Dead in the Water is the third episode of the first season of Supernatural.
Guest Stars: Amber Borycki (Sophie Carlton), Amy Acker (Andrea Barr), Keira Kabatow (Waitress), Bruce Dawson (Bill Carlton), Aaron Rota (Unknown), Troy Clare (Unknown), D. Harlan Cutshall (Unknown), Nico McEown (Lucas Barr), Daniel Hugh Kelly (Sheriff Jake Devins)
As the trail on their father goes cold, Sam and Dean find themselves in a small town in Wisconsin where 3 people have disappeared without trace in to a lake in the past year alone. Soon, the dam holding the water for the lake will burst and the town will be lost forever. The spirit causing the disappearances begins taking more and more people as it is running out of time. Sam and Dean must figure out who the spirit is and put it to rest before anymore people are taken and lost forever.
Where in the USA: Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin [though not a real place]
Behind the Scenes
- In the scene where Bill Carlton takes his final voyage onto the lake and his boat explodes out of the water, a dramatic reaction was called for from both Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. In reality, the two of them were reacting to a piece of tape being dangled off camera as the scene they were supposed to be witnessing was later created using CGI.
- In the dramatic scene in which Dean and Lucas come up from underneath the surface of the lake, they were actually being held under water by scuba divers until the director yelled "action!"
- Jensen Ackles has cited this episode various times as one of his favorites and as one he considers to be most memorable. He claimed that being yanked under the water by scuba divers while holding a child actor in his arms was "surreal" and one of the scarier moments he's had during shooting.
Allusions and References
- While there is no actual Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin; there is a Manitowoc River, the city of Manitowoc, and Manitowoc County in Eastern Wisconsin. This might have been the inspiration for the name of the lake featured in this episode.
Sam: "Kids are the best? You don't even like kids.
Dean: "I love kids."
Sam: "Name three children that you even know." (pause)
Sam: "Forget it."
Dean: "I'm thinking!"
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0