Angel/Long Day's Journey
Long Day's Journey is the ninth episode of the fourth season of Angel, and the seventy-fifth episode overall. The Beast is killing powerful beings connected to Ra in order to blot out the sun and only Angel and the gang can try to stop him before he succeeds.
Angel Investigations suspects that the Beast has been intentionally killing certain individuals and collecting talismans to blot out the sun. With Gwen Raiden’s help, they try to protect the last remaining totem.
Monster of the Week
There was no monster of the week in this episode.
|2||Manny||The Beast||Torn Apart||Gwen's Panic Room|
There is no licensed music in this episode.
- Wolfram & Hart: Without the little girl from the White Room, the Earthbound offices of Wolfram & Hart are cutoff from the senior partners. Her real name was Mesektet, she was one of five beings linked to Ra, an ancient god.
- Big Bad: The Beast has been targeting members of the Ra-tet and removing the items under their protection. Using the things he took from the five, he performs the ritual which blots out the sun and reveals that he once offered an alliance with Angelus.
- Shanshu Foreshadowing: The Shanshu prophecy noted that "the vampire with a soul" will become human after many trials and challenges, including "the coming darkness." In this episode, the sun is blotted out.
- Angel: The Beast seems to have some kind of subconscious control over Angel due in part to the meeting between him and Angelus two hundred years prior to the events of this episode. The gang comes up with a plan to figure out what the Beast's next move is by turning Angel into Angelus.
- 4x02 - Ground State: The gang first met Gwen when they attempted to steal the Axis of Pythia in order to make contact with the then higher reality bound Cordelia. Gwen was also trying to steal it to make a heavy profit and wound up accidentally killing Gunn in the process.
- Gwen: Gunn, I already apologized for killing you. What more do you want? A wake?
- Dedication: This episode was dedicated to "the loving memory of Glenn Quinn." Quinn died of a heroin overdose on December 3, 2002. In the first season, he played the role of Doyle.
Behind the Scenes
- Ratings: On its first airing, this episode scored a 2.7/4 in the overnight Nielsen ratings.
Allusions and References
- Cinemax: Manny refers to a commonly used colloquialism for the premium channel, Cinemax. Unlike other channels like Showtime and HBO, Cinemax opted to air films with a violent or sexual nature during the day. The nickname comes from the channel's broadcast of softcore pornographic films at night.
- Manny: Hey, Gwen. Don't suppose this joint's got Skin-emax?
- Lorne: (to Angel) Room service. Hey. I got you some nice O-positive here, freshly nuked for that right-out-of-the-jugular taste.
- Lorne: (catching Angel's sketch of the Beast) Mm. Good likeness. You wouldn't mind if I ran screaming from the room, would ya?
- Angel: Shut the door on your way out.
- Lorne: That's it. I see it. It's all about you. Silly old Lorne, thinking it was about saving the world from ending. Welcome to the big leagues, Angel. You're a champion - you don't get personal days.
- Cordelia: Aren't you gonna ask how Connor's doing?
- Angel: Like I really want a progress report.
- Cordelia: How about you stop being angry at me?
- Angel: How about you stop pretending to give a damn about my feelings?!
- Cordelia: I do give a damn. In fact, I give a whole lot of damn. It's why I came over here. To tell you, get over it.
- Angel: What?
- Cordelia: I had a vision this morning.
- Angel: Get over it.
- Cordelia: Of the Beast.
- Angel: Hmm. You know, I never really thought about that. "Get over it." Why didn't I think about that? Hmm? It's so simple!
- Angel: (to Cordelia) So who was inside you? I mean, who was it you were inside?
- Angel: As if there's somebody up there watching.
- Cordelia: I was, but I'm back now. So you're going to have to suck it up and deal because things are going to Hell and - and you're the leader. So lead.
- Angel: Cordelia, this is...
- Cordelia: I know who she is. Caught your show on the Omniscient Higher Plane Channel. Thanks.
- Gwen: So you're the girl who makes his heart go pitter-pat. Figuratively, at least.
- Gwen: Demon, okay? The whole nine: cloven feet and horns and teeth and... (sees Lorne) He wasn't wearing lamé, though.
- Lorne: Yeah, the evil ones can't pull it off. It gets camp.
- Gwen: (to Angel) Where were you when they taught you to be still in super power school?
- Manny: I am Manjet - Sacred Guardian of the Shen, keeper of the Orb Ma-At and devotee of light. Off hours, I like "Manny".
- Wesley: This... is a being of supreme power?
- Manny: You ought to see me in my Armani.
- Cordelia: Why did the small yucky man say that? He's joking, right?
- Angel: No, apparently there's a ritual using members of the Ra-Tet to change day into night. Forever.
- Wesley: As far as evil plans go, it doesn't suck.
- Fred: But where are we going to hide him? We need a small, controlled space.
- Angel: Secure the perimeter. Guards on duty at all times.
- Gunn: Kitchen's got a meat locker.
- Wesley: Brilliant. Let's store the one thing that'll stave off perpetual darkness in the home of the only people we're sure the demon knows.
- Gwen: So, guard duty. What do you think? (to Angel) You and me, first shift?
- Cordelia: Uh, wouldn't it make more sense to split up? One super power per shift. That way if horn boy shows up, we mere mortals might stand a chance.
- Gunn: Makes sense to me.
- Gwen: Okay then, I'll take Denzel.
- Gunn: Um, actually, it's Gunn. Not that I mind the freakishly accurate comparison.
- Gwen: Gunn, I already apologised for killing you. What more do you want? A wake?
- Gunn: It isn't that.
- Gwen: Then it's the English guy, isn't it? I saw the way he looked at your girl. A good thief is a master of body language.
- Gunn: He starts talking with his body, he's going to have a serious problem.
- Wesley: There's only one way we're going to defeat this Beast. We need Angelus.