Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Boy in the Iceberg
The Boy in the Iceberg is the first episode of the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the first episode overall. Two Water Tribe siblings find the Avatar trapped inside an iceberg at the South Pole.
Guest Stars: Mitchel Musso (Aang)
Katara and Sokka, a sister and brother living in the Southern Water Tribe are fishing when they discover a giant iceberg. Trapped inside the iceberg is a young boy named Aang. To the siblings' surprise, Aang is an Airbender, presumed to have been completely wiped out by the Fire Nation. Matters get a bit out of hand, and Aang's power as the Avatar is revealed.
- Aang is discovered after having been frozen in an iceberg for 100 years.
- Aang has a dream where he remembers the stormy night when he and Appa crash-landed at the South Pole and his Avatar powers took over to save the two of them by encasing them in a large iceberg.
- Uncle Iroh teaches Prince Zuko some advanced Firebending skills in order to help him in his coming battle with the Avatar.
- Aang and Katara come across an old Fire Navy ship trapped in the ice, and Katara realizes just how long Aang was inside the iceberg. Aang is understandably shocked at the news.
- Inside the Fire Navy ship Aang triggers a booby-trap and the old ship comes alive, shooting off a flare and alerting Prince Zuko to their location.
- Prince Zuko: A scarred prince of the Fire Nation, he is determined to find the Avatar for some as-yet unspecified purpose. According to the prince, his honor depends on finding the Avatar. This is all despite his father and grandfather's inability to find the Avatar.
- Aang: Aang is a 12-year-old Airbender, the last of his kind. He has been trapped in an iceberg for an unspecified reason for the last hundred years. Due to his exile from the world, Aang has no idea of all that has transpired. He is shocked to hear that the Airbenders are extinct and that there is a war going on.
- Katara: Katara is a Waterbender, the only one left in her tribe. She is first introduced hunting with her brother Sokka.
- Sokka: Sokka is one of the few remaining males in his tribe, and the oldest by far. The rest left to fight the Fire Nation two years ago and have not returned. As such, Sokka feels that he alone is responsible for the protection of the village. This is despite his proven clumsiness and general lack of experience in all things war-like.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
Katara: You are the most sexist, immature, nut-brained... I'm embarrassed to even be related to you!
Sokka: Look, I'm just saying that if I had weird powers I'd keep my weirdness to myself.
Katara: You're calling me weird? I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water.
Sokka: You just sneezed and flew ten feet in the air!
Aang: Really? It felt higher than that.
Sokka: What is that?
Aang: This is Appa, my flying bison.
Sokka: ...Yeah, and this is Katara, my flying sister.
Sokka: Why is it that every time you play with magic water, I get soaked?!
Katara: It's not magic, it's water bending!
Aang: Wow, I haven't cleaned my room in 100 years... not looking forward to that...
Sokka: Giant Light Beams, Airbenders, Flying Bisons, I think I've got the midnight sun madness. I'm going home to where stuff makes sense.
Katara: We'd love a ride, thanks!
Sokka: Oh no, I'm not getting on that fluffy snot monster.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0