Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Avatar Returns
The Avatar Returns is the second episode of the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the second episode overall. Aang is captured by Prince Zuko and his Avatar powers emerge.
After alerting the Fire Navy to his presence by setting off a booby-trap on a derelict ship, Aang is banished from the village by Sokka. Despite Katara's protests and her desire to go with Aang she stays out of loyalty to her family and the tribe. After the Fire Navy makes landfall at the village, Aang returns to turn himself in so that the village will be left alone. After the Fire Navy leave, Katara and Sokka leave with Appa to try and save Aang. On the ship, Aang quickly proves that he isn't entirely helpless by escaping from his captors. Sokka and Katara arrive with Appa on the scene to rescue Aang from the Fire Navy ship, and with some help from Katara's Waterbending skills they are able to escape.
- Aang displays several Airbending powers in this episode. He uses his control over air currents to push people around, run on the ceilings and walls, create a ball of air to ride on, and leap long distances. They also come in handy when trying to detect Prince Zuko's fire blasts. Once he retrieves his staff, Aang uses powerful blasts of air to mash Prince Zuko into the walls and ceilings of the cabin.
- This episode also features more of Aang's mysterious Avatar powers. When he falls into the water and hears Katara's cries he displays an impressive mastery of Waterbending, shooting himself out of the water and using it to clear the deck of Firebenders. Afterwards, he collapses as though he has greatly exerted himself.
- Aang is captured by Prince Zuko, but escapes with Sokka and Katara.
- Zuko's ship incurs heavy damage.
- Aang, Katara and Sokka plan out their journey to get Aang trained in the remaining three disciplines that he lacks.
- Aang and Prince Zuko meet for the first time. Zuko was expecting an old man, and is surprised to see that Aang is so young.
- Gran Gran: Sokka and Katara's grandmother gives them her blessing to leave the village and help Aang.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
Aang: Wow, I haven't cleaned my room in 100 years... not looking forward to that...
Sokka: I'm just a guy, with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and magic...
Zuko: You're just a kid!
Aang: You're just a teenager.
Katara: Why didn't you tell us you were the Avatar?
Aang: Because I never wanted to be.
- Overall Grade: no reviews yet
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0