|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Airdate||January 29, 2010|
|Written by||Mark Verheiden|
|Directed by||Jonas Pate|
|← TV Movie
Reins of a Waterfall
|Caprica — Season One|
Rebirth is the first episode of the first season of Caprica.
Starring: Eric Stoltz (Dr. Daniel Graystone), Esai Morales (Joseph Adama), Paula Malcomson (Dr. Amanda Graystone), Alessandra Torresani (Zoe Graystone), Magda Apanowicz (Lacy Rand), Sasha Roiz (Sam Adama), Brian Markinson (Special Agent Jordan Duram)
and Polly Walker (Sister Clarice Willow)
Guest Starring: Scott Porter (Nestor), Avan Jogia (Ben Stark)
Guest Starring (end credits): Alex Arsenault (Philo)
Co-Starring: Sina Najafi (William Adama), Hiro Kanagawa (Cyrus Xander), Karen Austin (Ruth), Genevieve Buechner (Tamara Adama), Jim Thomson (Voice of Serge), Francoise Yip (Desiree Willow), Phil Granger (Tanner), Anita Torrance (Mar-Beth), James Pizzinato (Drew), Michael Eklund (Waylon), Renu Bakshi (Abasi Lowe), Dale Wolfe (Steve Bahara), Feguins Toussaint (Bodyguard Sean), Greg Webb (Man at the Mic), Nimet Kanji (Natalie Stark), Darryl Scheelar (Officer Mendez), Jeanettea Antonio (Female at the Mic), Kailyn Stratton (Six-year-old Zoe), Brady Schlecker, Mario Casoria (Angry Crowds), Hannah (Caesar the Dog)
Zoe's ties to the prototype she was downloaded in leaves Daniel frustrated as to why the meta-cognitive processor won't function in any other bodies.
Meanwhile, as Sam teaches his nephew William about the shadier facts of life, Amanda begins learning a whole life about her daughter she never knew, leading her to make a startling revelation.
- It's revealed the maglev train number was 23.
- Despite its success with the prototype, the MCP will not work with any other bodies. Daniel has it sent to his home lab so he can look at it himself.
- Sister Clarice invites Lacy to her home where she learns that she's in a polygamous marriage. One of her younger husbands appears to be set up to seduce Lacy. The two later talk with her about Zoe and computers. Nestor talks admirably computer programming, as something that will live on, and that maybe Zoe made her own work of art. Later, some of Clarice's spouses question her regarding her intentions of inviting Lacy.
- Sam takes William on a tour of Little Tauron. In addition to revealing he's gay, Sam takes William under his wing, giving him shady moral advice. This includes on how to manipulate his father after he tries to make him feel guilty.
- After her spouses mention her "track record", Clarice goes to a drug den and smokes some kind of substance called purple.
- Zoe meets with Lacy for the first time in the robotic body. She expresses confusion about what she is.
- Daniel has been avoiding Joseph. He eventually corners him at the memorial where he tells him he wants to see Tamara again. Daniel believes she's gone and disappeared when Zoe's avatar did. Joseph is horrified to learn that when he took the holoband off, he left her alone.
- Amanda learns that Zoe had a boyfriend. When she finds she had a broach with the infinity symbol, she realises that her daughter was in STO. At the memorial, she stands at the podium and declares it before everyone.
- As of this episode, Sasha Roiz and Brian Markinson have been upgraded to series stars, while Avan Jogia has been downgraded to guest star.
- The piece of music Daniel is playing on his piano is called "Nomion’s Third Sonata". It was originally composed by Bear McCreary for the Battlestar Galactica episode "Someone to Watch Over Me".
- Michael Eklund portrayed Prosna in the miniseries while Nimet Kanji played a tribunal member in the episode "Litmus".
- Lacy is back inside the Graystone home despite Daniel having Serge revoke her security clearance. A deleted scene showed Serge knows Zoe is in the U-87 (backed up by one his tweets) who allowed her back in.
Behind the Scenes
- The scene between Lacy and Amanda was actually lifted from the next episode "Reins of a Waterfall", hence Lacy's comment about having a hard day at school.
Allusions and References
- The news chyron at the beginning of the first act gives Duram's name as "Durham" when all evidence suggests it's spelled without an "h".
- When Drew's fingertip is cut, Philomon can be heard exclaiming "Oh, my God" rather than the Colonies' polytheistic use of "Gods".
- William: Crap. There's the cops.
- Sam: All right. Stick around. Stick around. Don't run. You run away, you're guilty of two things - the thing and the running away from the thing.
- Daniel: And if you still want to go to the memorial, I'll go with you. Okay?
- Amanda: Because you're ready to think?
- Daniel: Because I promised Serge some time alone with the U-87. I think he's got a little... crush.
- Zoe: God, it's confusing. I mean, I'm Zoe, and the avatar, and the robot; like some kind of whatchacallit - three-parter.
- Lacy: Trinity. That's what you are. Three faces of one thing. Sort of.