King of the Hill/It's Not Easy Being Green
It's Not Easy Being Green is the seventeenth episode of the fifth season of King of the Hill, and the one hundred first episode overall.
Also Starring: David Herman (Councilman Fred Ebberd, Bulldozer Driver)
Special Guest Voice: Paul Giamatti (Mr. McKay)
Hank dismisses Bobby's environmental efforts brought about by his teacher. However, he joins their cause when he learns they're trying to block the draining of a quarry that would expose a secret he, Dale, and Bill have been hiding from Boomhauer for decades.
Hank: (chuckling) No, no, no. (stops chuckling) No.
Seen, But Not Heard
- Bad Company - "Can't Get Enough of Your Love"
- Paper Lace - "The Night Chicago Died"
- Paul McCartney and Wings - "Live and Let Die"
- We see Councilman Fred Ebberd for the first and only time after being mentioned twice earlier in the season.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- The title of the episode is taken from the song "Bein' Green" written by Joe Raposo and performed by Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.
- Dale references the Festrunk brothers from Saturday Night Live when he mentions he and the others being "wild and crazy guys."
- Hank: "You have been ticketed by the environmental court. - Tom Landry Middle School." What the?
- Dale: I know! You should appeal that all the way to the high school. Joseph issued me one of those yesterday for pouring used motor oil down the kitchen sink. Fascist.
- Peggy: Bobby, I will have you know that I consider myself to be one of the great environmentalists of my time. I have a plastic grocery bag filled with plastic grocery bags that I will bring back to the grocery store one day.
- Buck: Hank, those hobos are going through our garbage again.
- Hank: Accidentally throw away one regulator valve, now we're the talk of the freight yards.
- Hank: So you're the Mr McKay Bobby keeps talking about. I guess I pictured a woman.
- Hank: Look, if you care so much about the environment, why don't you teach these kids about clean-burning, energy-efficient propane?
- Mr McKay: Clean-burning propane. That's funny. See, propane grills just perpetuate the whole culture of backyard barbecues - plastic forks, paper plates, meat.
- Hank: I've sold three grills today using those exact same words, but with a more positive attitude.
- Peggy: Hank, this could be his first A since he was in the same math class as that Bobby Hall and brought home the wrong report card.
- Hank: Itchy algae? Sounds like good riddance to me.
- Mr McKay: Just because itchy algae isn't cuddly or "good for anything," it doesn't mean we should destroy its habitat by draining the quarry.
- Dale: And after the weather, they did a story about a squirrel that water-skis. And I went to bed happy.
- Bill: Let's go to 31 Flavors and ask for 31 samples.
- Dale: It's legal and there's nothing they can do about it.
- Hank: Boomhauer thinks some Yankees came down and stole the car. And he's gonna go to his grave thinking that.
- Dale: Boomhauer's grave? Are - Are you suggesting we kill Boomhauer? Well, you're the boss.
- Hank: Let's just say Councilman Fred Ebberd owes me one. I voted for him.
- Dale: Earth first! Make Mars our bitch!
- Councilman Fred Ebberd: Let's turn trash into cash.
- Bill: Their slogan's better than our slogan.
- Dale: I've got it. We create three new people: Hank Jones, Dale Smith, and Bill Manugian. When they find our lettermen jackets in the car, those guys take the heat. Now, we're gonna need three dead guys.
- Bill: The Army might have some dead guys!
- Hank: Why couldn't it have been me and Boomhauer that did something horrible to you guys?
- Bill: Because Boomhauer's a saint.
- Hank: I've got a plan that might actually work. Dale, we're gonna need your scuba gear.
- Dale: Why?
- Hank: Because they can't find Boomhauer's car if it's not there.
- Dale: But it is there.
- Bill: Maybe we should use Dale's scuba gear to pull the car out.
- Dale: Now, that's a plan, Hank.
- Dale: I found her right between my old lawnmower and what I'm fairly certain is a genuine Egyptian sarcophagus.
- Dale: Strange. Another frogman must have switched the hook after I surfaced. But why?
- Dale: What are we gonna do, Hank? If there's a protest, there will be cops. And if there are cops, they'll try to pin it on me. And since I did it, they will succeed.
- Bill: Oh, my God. You know he'll take us down with him.
- Dale: That does sound like me, Hank.
- Dale: (trying to start car pulled from quarry) Come on. Come on. Come on.
- Bill: You're floodin' it.
- Bobby: How long should we stay angry at my dad?
- Boomhauer: Well, you know, Bobby, don't take for me, man. You know, life's too short, man. You don't want to hold no grudge, man. Talkin' about let old bygones be bygones, man. Maybe two weeks, probably three.
- Bobby: You know, Mister Boomhauer, I can see why my dad is always quoting you.
- Boomhauer: Man, your daddy's quote me? Goddang, oh, man. Maybe just, oh, make - make it one week.