Kukla, Fran and Ollie/The First Episodes, Vol. 1
The First Episodes, Vol. 1 is the first authorized video release dedicated to the original run of the Kukla, Fran and Ollie series. It was released on November 20, 2010 by the Burr Tillstrom Copright Trust via Amazon and the Chicago History Museum.
The first set includes various episodes from the original NBC run of the series which were selected by series creator Burr Tillstrom as his favorites and transferred to videotape from the original 16mm kinescopes in the 1980s for potential home video release. For the DVD's second pressing, new transfers of "Lemonade", "First 15-minute show", and "The Mikado" were prepared directly from the kinescopes.
The episodes are presented as originally broadcast, with the original commercials and music. In addition to their own original music, the Kuklapolitans performed many songs on the series from outside sources, mostly from Broadway musicals. All necessary musical rights were cleared for the episodes in this release.
Disc 1 (1949)
- Salute To Television (12/5/49)
- Lemonade (8/17/49)
- Madame Ooglepuss Loses Her Wig (9/26/49)
- Screen Test (9/8/49)
- Ice Cream (10/6/49, with Dave Garroway)
- Halloween (10/31/49)
- Kukla Kiddish (11/30/49)
- Making A Christmas Tree Stand (12/20/49)
- Hansel and Gretel (12/28/49)
Disc 2 (1950-54)
- Puppetry Festival (6/28/50)
- As You Like It (11/3/50)
- Winter Carnival (12/20/50)
- First 15 Minute Show (11/26/51)
- Guppies Gavotte (12/5/51)
- Fran Practices Christmas Singing (12/12/51)
- June Lockhart (4/22/52)
- Leaving New York (5/2/52)
- Fifth Birthday (10/12/52)
- Miss VUHF (1/3/54)
- "The Mikado" Dress Rehearsal (2/21/54)
Three extended excerpts from additional episodes are included as special features.
- Disc 1
- Homecoming (with Gene Rayburn, 10/21/49)
- Disc 2
- Sweet William (with Marlin Perkins and a skunk from the Lincoln Park Zoo, 10/27/50)
- "Here We Are" (a vocal rendition of the show's theme song, 8/8/49)