|The server migration still hasn't happened. Check here for more info.
Veronica Mars/Nevermind the Buttocks
| This article about an episode needs to be expanded with more information.
Please help out by editing it.
Nevermind the Buttocks is the nineteenth episode of the second season of Veronica Mars, and the forty-first episode overall.
Starring: Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Percy Daggs III (Wallace Fennel), Teddy Dunn (Duncan Kane) (credit only), Jason Dohring (Logan Echolls), Francis Capra (Eli "Weevil" Navarro), Ryan Hansen (Richard "Dick" Casablancas) (credit only), Kyle Gallner (Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas) (credit only), Tessa Thompson (Jackie Cook)
Guest Starring: Tina Majorino (Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie), Krysten Ritter (Gia Goodman), Daran Norris (Cliff McCormack), Adam Hendershott (Vincent "Butters" Clemmons), Rod Rowland (Liam Fitzpatrick), Matt Bush (Billy Greene), John Prosky (Ethan Lavoie), Tommy Snider (Harry Greene)
Co-Starring: Patrick Wolff (Hector Cortez), David Patrick Green (Biology Teacher), Meredith Roberts (Cute as a Bug Manager), Ross Kohn (Jack Artman), Patricia Place (Mary McDonald), David E. Willis (TV Newscaster)
Mystery of the Week
- Mystery Car: Harry Greene's dog was hit by a car that swerved into his yard and sped off. He enlists Veronica into finding out who owns the car for unknown reasons. She puts out an advertisement in the paper regarding the car and finds out that it was the same car Gia saw before the crash. Eventually someone bites on the reward and Veronica is led to a blind woman's house, who tells her that it's her deceased husband's car. While investigating further, Veronica finds the outline of a Leprechaun sticker on the back. After some more tracking, she discovers Liam Fitzpatrick behind the wheel. It turns out that Billy Greene was yet another victim of Liam's and that's why his dog was killed.
- Richard Casablancas, Sr. was using his sons' insurance as a tax shelter which would pay out a seven-figure sum to Kendall Casablancas should both of them die at once. She called Logan several times on the day of the crash.
- Weevil had a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook, which is an instruction manual for bomb making, among other things. Veronica directly accuses him of planting a bomb in Dick's bag to kill Logan. He seems to absolve himself when he tells her that he was following the bus to keep an eye on Cervando.
- Yet another connection to the crash was from a green Barracuda, which mooned the limo right before the bus crash. Liam Fitzpatrick wanted to shut Cervando up after he started bragging about ripping them off. Liam may have been acting as Kendall's eyes so that she could make the phone call explosion.
- Police found the murder weapon, which actually turned out to be Aaron Echoll's Oscar statue. But, things are complicated when police also find some of Duncan's hair with it. Of course, we know that this was planted by Kendall as per their quid pro quo agreement.
- Fitzpatricks vs. PCHers: After Thumper sold them out to the Fitzpatricks, the PCHers have been little more than slave labor for drug running. After Weevil gets them off the hook, he cuts them loose instead of returning to power as their leader.
- Mac: After being dumped by Beaver, Mac has gone a little loopy and has been listening in on his cell phone calls.
- Jackie and Wallace: Jackie and Wallace finally get back together, even though it's only going to be for a couple weeks. Since Jackie has been accepted into a French university, she'll be gone in five weeks.
- Kendall: Kendall isn't actually Kendall. Her real name is Priscilla Banks and she spent six months in prison for wire fraud. Apparently the real Kendall was killed in a car crash when she was fifteen and Priscilla took her name after her stint in prison. She is also mixed up with Liam Fitzpatrick. She was part of a fraud scheme with Liam's older brother.
- 2x13 - Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough: Several references are made to the paddle that Veronica found in Thumper's locker. The Xerox copies she made of the license plates engraved on it also reappear when Weevil asks for her help.
- 2x14 - Versatile Toppings: Arturo was the person who was committing copycat thefts in order to gain favor with the PCHers, but Weevil told him to go home. He has since made it into the gang, but has been used as a punching bag for the Fitzpatricks when the PCHers come up short.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Never Mind the Bollocks: The episode title is a play on Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (1977), the first album of the seminal British punk band, Sex Pistols. Incidentally, in the episode The River of Stars on Space: Above and Beyond, Rod Rowling's character received a copy of the album as a gift. Rod plays Liam Fitzpatrick on Veronica Mars.
- James Bond: James Bond is the star of the popular series of spy movies. He has been played by several actors including: Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.
- Veronica: But setting off his secretary's car alarm? Pure Bond.
- The Anarchist Cookbook: William Powell's The Anarchist Cookbook describes bomb making techniques and other potentially felonious activities. The book has been heavily criticized by actual anarchists who claim that it only perpetuates the stereotype that anarchism is naturally violent.
- Veronica: You mind if I give this Anarchist Cookbook back to Weevil?
- Nash Bridges: Nash Bridges and his partner Joe Dominguez (played by Don Johnson and Cheech Marin) often drove around San Francisco in a yellow Barracuda. The buddy-cop series aired on CBS for six seasons between 1996 and 2001.
- Veronica: Don't see a lot of 'cudas except on Nash Bridges reruns.
- South Beach: South Beach was a low-rated UPN drama about two Brooklyn friends who move to Miami's South Beach. The show debuted in January 2006, riding buzz from its producer, Jennifer Lopez, but was universally panned by critics. It was cancelled after eight episodes, a full three months before this Veronica Mars episode was aired. It's presumed that this episode was shot in mid-February, due to the Cheney reference.
- Veronica: You heard me coming and turned off South Beach, didn't you?
- Bits: Because Spanish doubloons were so valuable, people often split them up into multiple pieces in order to use them more effectively. The phrase "two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar" comes from a cheerleading standard where that line is followed by the school's name and "stand up and holler." Two bits equal, roughly, 25 cents in this cheer.
- Veronica: Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar?
- Dick Cheney: On February 11, 2006, U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney was on a hunting trip with a few of his friends and accidentally shot Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old Texas attorney, in the face, neck and upper torso with a shotgun filled with birdshot after whipping around to shoot a quail.
- Veronica: I want to grab a shotgun and go all Cheney on 'em.
- Paypal: Paypal is an online fund transfer service that allows someone to pay for goods and services into a kind of online debit account. Paypal was eventually bought out by eBay, but its service has remained the same. To "PayPal" someone is to send money to their PayPal account.
- Wheel of Fortune: Wheel of Fortune is the second longest running game show of all time. The game involves three people spinning a wheel to get a dollar value. They then guess a letter they think is in a hidden message and gain that amount of money multiplied by how many letters are found (i.e. $800 spin * 4 Ns = $3200). Pat Sajak and Vanna White were hosting the show at the time that this episode aired.
- Blind Woman: Now excuse me; I'm missing Vanna and Pat
- University of Paris: In 1971, the University of Paris was split into 13 connected interdisciplinary schools. Jackie says that she was accepted into the Sorbonne. She likely refers to Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV), which inherited the university's arts and sciences faculties.
- Jackie: I've been accepted to the Sorbonne.
- Liam pulls a gun on Keith and fires. When the two discover that there are no bullets in the gun, they tussle, eventually ending with them both crashing through a window and Keith escaping in Veronica's car.
- Logan: As a rule I'd like to start every school day with a hot blonde waiting for me in the parking lot.
- Veronica: Me too.
- Logan: I'm not blond.
- Veronica: Or hot.