Freaks and Geeks/Carded and Discarded
Carded and Discarded is the seventh episode of the first season of Freaks and Geeks. The Geeks befriend a cute new girl at school, but realize they have to keep her from being ensnared by the popular kids. The Freaks attempt to obtain fake IDs to see a band that'll be performing at a local bar.
Guest Stars: Dave "Gruber" Allen (Jeff Rosso), Kevin Corrigan (Toby), Ben Foster (Eli), Jason Schwartzman (Howie), Kayla Ewell (Maureen), Sarah Hagan (Millie Kentner), Natasha Melnick (Cindy Sanders), Stephen Lea Sheppard (Harris), Trace Beaulieu (Mr. Lacovara), Joanna Garcia (Vicki), Jerry Messing (Gordon Crisp)
The episode begins with Jeff providing 'counseling' to the Freaks by revealing his fondness for Alice Cooper. He tries to convince Lindsay that she's hanging out with the wrong crowd. Later at the Weir residence, an annoyed Mr. Weir orders Lindsay and Sam to stay at home Friday night and play his favourite 'stock trading' game with them, stating that they can't ignore their parents and treat them like employees at a hotel. Lindsay receives a birthday card from an aunt along with $300 for her college fund.
At school the next day, a cute new transfer student named Maureen joins the Geeks' class. Later at lunch they find her sitting at their table and quickly befriend her, promising to show her the ropes. They find themeselves enjoying her company immensely, and she even winds up spending time with them after school. Lindsay and the Freaks learn that a hot band will be performing at a local bar on Friday. Kim has a fake ID and will be able to get in - Lindsay offers to use her $300 to help them all acquire IDs so they can go see the band. They meet a contact of Daniel's named Howie, who agrees to get them the IDs.
The Geeks, upon catching Maureen talking to a cheerleader named Vicki, quickly break up the conversation using Eli. They realize that if Maureen hangs out with the popular crowd, they'll lose her to them. Their anxiety grows when they learn that Maureen has been invited to Vicki's weekend party. With some guidance from Harris, they decide to show Maureen an unforgettable Friday evening so that she won't be swayed by the popular kids later.
Howie brings the Freaks their fake IDs, but the photos look nothing like them. Lindsay is forced to turn to Millie's estranged and disreputable cousin Toby to get IDs. Despite a few hiccups, they finally acquire the IDs at a hefty price. Later that evening, Lindsay and Sam manage to get out of staying home with their parents and leave for their respective appointments. The Geeks take Maureen out and keep their fingers crossed. The Freaks make for the bar, but their night doesn't go the way they planned.
- "C'Etait Toi (You Were the One)","Rosalinda's Eyes" and "Don't Ask Me Why" by Billy Joel
- "Stomp!" by Brothers Johnson
- "I'm Eighteen" (Alice Cooper) and "American Band" (Grand Funk Railroad), performed by Dave "Gruber" Allen and Feedback
- Student Population: Maureen transfers to the school, and we are introduced to head cheerleader Vicki.
- Geeks With a Girl: The Geeks experience their brief moment in the spotlight when they befriend Maureen, and also experience female companionship for the first time.
- Parental Frustrations: Mr. Weir expresses his annoyance with the fact that Lindsay and Sam don't want to be a part of the family.
- Lindsay: Continues to eschew her former lifestyle, claiming she doesn't want to go to college. Falls in with the Freaks even further, using her college fund money to get them all fake IDs.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- Three's Company: Eli is a big fan of Three's Company, a popular sitcom that ran from 1977 to 1984.
- Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back: The Geeks mention how they selected one of their number to stand in line for tickets to 'The Empire Strikes Back', which came out in the summer of 1980.
- Alice Cooper: Jeff tries to prove to the Freaks how well he can relate to them by demonstrating his familiarity with Alice Cooper's "I'm Eighteen".
- Maureen's grand entrance during biology class.
- The Freaks receive their 'not quite matching' ID cards from Howie.
- The Geeks' moment of truth with Maureen as they sit at their table during lunch.