Paramount Television Studios
For the original company, see Paramount Television
Paramount Television Studios (PTS) is the television production division of Paramount Pictures (a unit of Paramount Global).
On March 4, 2013, the second Viacom (now part of Paramount Global) announced the resurrection of the original Paramount Television as the TV production unit of Paramount Pictures (which Viacom had retained following its spinoff from CBS Corporation). The first series announced to be produced by the new PTV was an adaptation of the 1984 police action comedy film Beverly Hills Cop (which was to have been co-produced with Sony Pictures Television), but it did not get past the development stage. Amy Powell was later announced as the new president of PTV on July 22, 2013.
The first new PTV series to be produced following the company's revival was Minority Report (a co-production with Amblin Television and 20th Century Fox Television), which debuted on FOX on September 21, 2015. On January 14, 2020, the company was renamed as Paramount Television Studios following the merger of CBS Corporation and the second Viacom to create Paramount Global on December 4, 2019.
Other series now in production, recently completed or in the works from PTV/PTS include School of Rock (based on the 2003 Jack Black comedy film), A Series of Unfortunate Events (based on the children's book series and the 2004 Jim Carrey movie Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events), Ashecliffe (a prequel to the 2010 film Shutter Island), Terminator: Project Skynet (part of the Terminator franchise), Jack Ryan (based on the book and movie character created by novelist Tom Clancy), Berlin Station, The Alienist (based on the 1994 crime novel by Caleb Carr), Maniac, Catch-22 (based on the 1961 satirical book by author Joseph Heller), First Wives Club (based on the 1996 movie of the same name), Home Before Dark (based on the real-life story of young journalist Hilde Lysiak) and Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies (based on the 1950s-themed 1978 movie musical Grease).
Since 2013, the current PTV/PTS has held ownership of the pre-2008 library of DreamWorks Television via PTS parent Paramount Pictures' acquisition of DreamWorks SKG in 2006; Paramount retained ownership of that library after DreamWorks SKG regained its independence in 2008 and PTS is the current TV distributor for the DreamWorks-produced shows. In 2020, PTS added another library to its collection, the Miramax Television library (including select programs by Dimension Television), through the acquisition of a 49% stake in Miramax by parent company Paramount Global from beIN Media Group (which continues to own the other 51% of the company), which resulted in Paramount taking over the distribution rights to Miramax's library.
PTS also owns a distribution division, Paramount Worldwide Television Licensing & Distribution, which was established at the same time as PTS and is the distributor for shows produced by PTS as well as acquired shows from DreamWorks Television (pre-2008), Miramax Television (previously distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television) and other companies.
List of shows produced by Paramount Television Studios
- Paramount Television Studios closing logos at Closing Logos Group Wiki