Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Resistance
Resistance is the fourth episode of the second season of Battlestar Galactica, and is the seventeenth episode overall.
Starring: Edward James Olmos (Commander William Adama), Mary McDonnell (Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace), Jamie Bamber (Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama), James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar), Tricia Helfer (Number Six), Grace Park (Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii)
Secondary Stars: Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), Aaron Douglas (Chief Galen Tyrol), Tahmoh Penikett (Helo), Paul Campbell (Billy Keikeya), Nicki Clyne (Cally), Alessandro Juliani (Lt. Gaeta), Kandyse McClure (PO Dualla)
Cast: Chris Shields (Cpl. Venner), Bodie Olmos (Hot Dog), Leah Cairns (Racetrack), Dominic Zamprogna (Jammer), Tamara Lashley (Sue-Shaun), Jeremy Guilbaut (Lt. Joe Hammerhead Palladino), Heather Doerksen (Marine with a Sandwich), Curtis Lee Hicks (Marine Sergeant)
Uncredited: Leo Chiang (Tattooed pilot)
As Tyrol is jailed for suspicion of being a Cylon, Tigh's declaration of martial law is causing unrest in the fleet, prompting Lee to help plot Roslin's escape.
Elsewhere on Caprica, Helo and Kara meet a group of resistance fighters led by pyramid players.
- Kara and Helo find there are a group of pyramid players who've survived the attacks and have turned into resistance fighters.
- In protest of suspending the civilian government, many containment ships refuse to resupply Galactica. Tigh orders them to comply and has a boarding party consisting of a Raptor and armed marines. Short-handed, he has pilots and deck officers pulled to command the boarding parties. One incident on a ship gets out of control, leading to four civilians being shot and killed.
- Lee coordinates a plan to get Roslin on a Raptor and off Galactica. They make it to Cloud Nine where traffic will make it difficult to track. Lee uses Tom Zarek to help hide them in the fleet.
- According to Boomer, there are eight Cylons hiding in the fleet. However, her confession is made during duress and despite earlier claiming not to know, so it's questionable.
- A special cell is built to hold Boomer.
- Tyrol is interrogated and put in the brig for suspicion of being a Cylon. He's initially hostile to Boomer who professes to still love him. However, he changes his attitude and when Cally shoots Boomer, she dies in his arms, her last words reasserting her love for him.
- Kara meets Sam Anders.
- Roslin leaves to get on the Raptor, but Billy refuses to accompany her for fear of what her actions will lead to among the fleet.
- Adama wakes up and is good enough to walk.
Behind the Scenes
Allusions and References
- The shootings on the Gideon was initially inspired by the Kent State shootings, creating a parallel between the clash between military and civilians. However, as things progressed in the creative stages, the incident mirrored more closely the Boston Massacre.
- Cally's shooting of Boomer was modelled on Jack Ruby's assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald.
- When a deckhand pulls Cally off Jammer, he is seen holding her left arm around the wrist, but in the very next cut, his hand is nearer her shoulder.
- Visual Effects Assistant Ross Woo's first name is inexplicably absent in the closing credits .
- Baltar: I am the Vice President. Legally speaking, if the President is incapacitated, shouldn't I take over her --
- Tigh: Legally speaking, I have declared martial law. That makes you nobody.
- Roslin: Doctor, I need your help, but it's illegal, dangerous, and in violation of your oath as an officer.
- Cottle: You’re a lousy salesman.
- Baltar: (to Tyrol) Love is a strange and wonderful thing, Chief. You'd be happy you experienced it at all. Even if it was with a machine.
- Adama: I never had much use for people who second-guessed my decisions, especially if they've never held a command. They don't understand the pressure. You make a call that affects the lives of thousands and you have no one to turn to for backup.
- Tigh: You make it look easy.
- Adama: You know that's a lie now.
- Tigh: A lot of pieces to pick up.
- Adama: Then we'll pick them up together.
- (dying words)
- Boomer: (to Tyrol) I love you, Chief.