Lost/Swan Bunker Blast Door
In "What Kate Did," Michael first pointed out the blast doors inside the Swan and asked Locke about them, noting that blast doors are generally used "in case of an explosion [when] they come [down] from the ceiling." As Desmond never mentioned them and Michael left the Swan to find his son, the blast doors were left untouched until they came down and locked in place during the events in "Lockdown," trapping Locke and Henry Gale inside. At least four blast doors dropped into place, enclosing the Swan's main living area from the rest of the station, including the computer terminal.
During the lockdown, the lights in the main living area flickered off and a number of black lights came on to reveal a large, hand-drawn map with notations written on the blast door separating the main living area from the corridor that leads to the hatch shaft.
The Blast Door Map
The map drawn on the blast door was written with laundry detergent so as to only be visible under a black light. Kelvin's former partner, Radzinsky, came up with the idea for the map and figured out how to trigger a manual lockdown. After Radzinsky's suicide, Kelvin continued his work on the map and showed Desmond how to do it. The map contains confirmed and speculated locations of the other five (possibly six) stations on the island, all drawn around a large question mark. In addition to the map, notations are present in printed English along with cursive Latin.
Six stations (along with a seventh that has been crossed out) are present on the map. Four of the six stations have names along with their corresponding symbols. Of the two that do not, one station has notations speculating it to be called "The Pearl" while a reference is made to a zoological research facility. Lines are drawn on the map connecting some of the stations to each other, but each station has one line connecting it to the large question mark in the middle of the map. The entire map is contained within an octagon similar to the DHARMA logo.
- The Swan: Has the most detailed diagram of all the stations on the map. "THE SWAN" and an outline of a swan are present within the diagram.
- The Staff: "THE STAFF" and a caduceus symbol are written on the station.
- The Arrow: "ARROW" and an arrow are written on the station.
- The Flame: "THE FLAME" and a sketch of a flame are written on the station.
- The Pearl: "THE PEARL?" is written next to the outline of a possible station. No symbol attached.
- Unknown Station: The outline of a possible station is drawn on the map. No identifying text or symbol is attached to it.
- Scratched Out Station: The outline of a seventh station is present on the map, but scratched out. The notation "UNKNOWN!" is written next to it; maybe possibly be the Door or The Looking Glass.
- The Question Mark: Possibly the barracks. As the barracks are protected by a sonic fence as seen in "Par Avion", it would make it extremely difficult for one man to get over it and discover what lay inside the ring of pylons.
From upper-left of the map running counter-clockwise:
- DHARMA PROTOCOL: NO STATIONS PAST SECURITY BARRIER: - WHY A DHARMATEL INTRANET PRESENCE PAST THIS BORDER?
- INTRANET SUPPORT FOR CARCHARODON CARCHARIAS (great white shark) SELECTIVE BREEDING FACILITY?
- KNOWN TO BE A HUB FOR E.E.P. CONDUITS.
- PURPOSE OF STATION / D.I.H.G. DESIGNATION UNKNOWN.
- BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN DIVESTED FROM PROJECT IN 1985 FOLLOWING AH/MDG INCIDENT, BUT COULD BE #6.
- CONFIRMED SITE OF THE CADUCEUS MEDICAL STATION (THE STAFF!)
- ESTIMATED TRAVEL TIME INCOMPATIBLE WITH 108. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SURVEY.
- CADUCEUS STATION BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN ABANDONED DUE TO AH/MDG INCIDENT OF 1985. OR: POSSIBLE CATASTROPHIC MALFUNCTION OF CERBERUS SYSTEM.
- ALLEGED LOCATION OF #4 - "THE FLAME." BUT UNLIKELY DUE TO CERBERUS ACTIVITY.
- ALLEGED LOCATION OF ABORTED #7: LARGE NUMBER OF UNDERGROUND SPRINGS / HEAVY WATER TABLE.
- ACTIVITY UNSUITABLE FOR D.I.H.G.
- - CV I HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
- NO SAFE LOCATION FOR DHARMATEL SERVERS/HUBS/CABLING OR INFRASTRUCTURE.
- POSSIBLE RECREATIONAL AREA FOR [unreadable] D.I.H.G. SURVEY TEAMS.
- - LOW PRIORITY ZONE FOR EXPLORATION - POSSIBLE SITE FOR ABOVE GROUND STUDY OF FLORA [unreadable] LOW RELEVANCE TO VALENZETTI-RELATED RESEARCH ACTIVITY.
- I AM HERE. (pointing to the Swan)
- MULTIPLE ESCAPE CONDUITS BLOCKED AFTER INCIDENT.
- THE SWAN: 3 OF 6 (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42)
- - SITE OF H.G. DELEGATION INSPECTION 12.07.81.
- - SYSTEMWIDE FAILURE OF DHARMATEL INTRANET 4.08.00, 8.15.01, 01.06.03 - COMPLETE SHUTDOWN IN EFFECT.
- * P.R.D.: EVERY 6-8 MONTHS.
- - FATALITIES: 5
- NO CONNECTION TO ISLAND-WIDE E.E.P. NETWORK
- POSSIBLE CV II - INACTIVE SINCE ACCIDENT.
- PRIMARY NEXUS OF CERBERUS-RELATED ACTIVITY.
- SIGHTINGS COINCIDE WITH EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN OF INTRANET SERVICES, PERIODS OF HEIGHTENED SECURITY.
- * KNOWN FINAL RESTING PLACE OF MAGNUS HANSO/BLACK ROCK.
- ACTIVITY MINIMAL DURING LOCKDOWN AND RESTOCKING PROCEDURES.
- REV-4.3.02 POSSIBLE LOCATION OF ZOOLOGICAL RESEARCH FACILITY.
- STATED GOAL, REPATRIATION ACCELERATED DETERRITORIALIZATION OF URSUS MARITIMUS (polar bear) THROUGH GENE THERAPY AND EXTREME CLIMATE CHANGE.
- CV III
- THE PEARL ?
- CV IV ?
- SUBTERRANEAN CONDUIT?
- HIGH POTENTIAL FOR R.V.S. FACILITY!
- GEOLOGICAL COMPOSITION OF ROCK LIKELY TO CAUSE MAGNETIC DISTURBANCES/INTERFERE WITH WEATHER FORECASTING PROJECT.
- - INTERFERENCE MIGHT ALSO PREVENT LOCATION FROM USE AS A LISTENING STATION/CRYPTOGRAPHY, RESEARCH/COMMUNICATIONS ANALYSIS FACILITY.
- WHY SO MANY DHARMATEL RELAYS TO SUCH AN UNTENABLE LOCATION?
- - MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN. MOST LIKELY USED BY D.I.H.G. FOR METEOROLOGICAL RESEARCH DUE TO HIGH ALTITUDE.
- SUSPECTED SHUT DOWN DATE: 10.28.84
- HUB OF D.I.H.G. ROAD SYSTEM OR OTHER MAJOR ROUTE OF OVERLAND TRAVEL
- POSSIBLE MANUFACTURING FACILITY WITH LIGHT INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT
- FINAL DESTINATION IN CASE OF CODE 42?
- POSSIBLE TERMINAL POINT FOR SUBTERRANEAN E.F.P. TUNNEL NETWORK? (possible misspelling error; referencing E.E.P. tunnel network)
- ARROW STATION: - PRIMARY FUNCTION - RESTOCKING AND STAGING AREA FOR D.I.H.G.
- POSSIBLE OFFSHORE DATA DUMP?
Within the question mark circle:
- DESIGNATION UNKNOWN
- PURPOSE UNKNOWN
- RELATION TO D.I.H.G. UNKNOWN
From upper-left of the map running counter-clockwise:
- Sursum corda. Sursum corda. Sursum corda: "Lift up your hearts."
- Aegrescit Medendo: "The disease worsens with the treatment" or "the remedy is worse than the disease."
- Malum consilium quod mutari non potest: "It's a bad plan that can't be changed."
- Cogito ergo doleo: "I think, therefore I suffer" or "I think, therefore I am depressed."
- Ut sit magna, tamen certe lenta ira deorum est: "The wrath of the gods may be great, but it certainly is slow."
- Liberate te ex inferis: "Save yourself from hell."
- Hic sunt dracones: ""Here be dragons."
- Mus uni non fidit antro: "A mouse does not rely on just one hole."
- Credo nos in fluctu eodem esse: "I think we're on the same wavelength."
Written across the question mark circle:
- Nil actum reputa si quid superest agendum: "Don't consider that anything has been done if anything is left to be done."
- √16. √64. √225
- x4, y8, z15
- (near C3?) H(vector) = [ [ M d-ronde ] over [ G (index p) d-ronde k ] ] g(vector)
- (ouside, near C3) B(vector) = μ0 /(4 π i) ʃ ∇ ( M (vector) ˑ ∇ ( 1/r ...
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- The following acronyms and abbreviations were confirmed from hidden code on the official Lost Jigsaw puzzles from TDC Games
- CV I, CV II, CV III, CV IV
- Cerberus Vent One, Two, Three, Four
- DHARMA Initiative Hanso Group
- Periodic Resupply Drop
- Emergency Escape Protocol
- Alvar Hanso
Lost: Via Domus Blast Door Map
- Note: The following section pertains to the Lost: Via Domus video game. The game is not considered canon by the Lost's producers, thus the information in the following section is not canon.
One of the trailers for the Ubisoft's Lost: Via Domus briefly flashed a new version of the blast door map inside the Swan's geodesic dome. New markings were made in red over the original map. These new markings can be accessed in the game by activating a second black light source. From upper-left of the map running counter-clockwise:
- "PALA FERRY" written inside the shape of a dock.
- K. BEHAVING STRANGELY. CAN'T TRUST. HAVE TO WATCH OUT.
- "LOOKING GLASS" written inside a station symbol.
- CABLES RUNNING OFFSHORE... POSSIBLE LOOKING GLASS written next to the Looking Glass.
- QUID EST VERITUS?: "What is truth?"
- "HYDRA" written inside a station symbol with an "X" on one entrance.
- CONVINCED ISLAND IS HYDRA. TUNNEL BLOCKED — UNABLE TO ACCESS written next to the Hydra.
- AEGRI SOMNIA: "A sick man’s dreams" or "troubled dreams".
- "BARRACKS" written inside an outline
- HOSTILE CONTROLLED written next to the barracks.
- The scratched-out station has been outlined again with POSSIBLE ORCHID? written and an arrow pointing to it.
- TEMPUS EDAX RERUM: "Time is the devourer of things" written by the possible Orchid.
- Another notation is written below the possible Orchid, but too blurry to make out.
Theories and Speculation
The following are theories and speculation based on the contents of the blast door map and the information learned so far in Lost:
- The Lines
- Light, solid lines interconnect some of the stations and each station has a line running from it to the question mark circle. The lines may denote a telecommunications network connecting the stations throughout the island.
- Scratched Out Station
- It is likely that the person (or one of the people) creating this map discovered that this station did not exist in a predicted location and scratched it out from the map.
- This station may be the fake station at the Others' shore village.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- DHARMA TELecommunications
- Remote Viewing Station
- CERBERUS SYSTEM
- Possibly the monster.
- DHARMATEL INTRANET:
- FATALITIES: 5
- MULTIPLE ESCAPE CONDUITS BLOCKED AFTER INCIDENT
- Written by the Swan. It's possible the passageway blocked by concrete is another escape conduit like the hatch.
- ROADS OR OTHER ROUTE OF TRAVEL & POSSIBLE MANUFACTURING FACILITY WITH LIGHT INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT
- These text are written near the location of the Arrow, suggesting roads and a facility are located on a possibly more developed area nearby. Given that Michael, Sawyer and Jin washed ashore near the Arrow, it's possible the raft was situated off the coast near the Arrow when the Others intercepted them. If Sawyer is correct in saying their boat had to leave port nearby, then it's possible said port may be near the manufacturing facility.
- B(vector) = μ0 /(4 π i) ʃ ∇ ( M (vector) ˑ ∇ ( 1/r ...
- A magnetic field equation, most likely relating to the island's "magnetic anomaly"
The info on the Blast door map makes more sense if you tie some of the notations to Cerberus - and even more sense if you equate the Black Smoke Monster with the Cerberus System (although there is no proof of this). The left-middle side of the map has references to the Cerberus System possibly posing a danger to DHARMA stations. Two of three notations directly underneath "Primary Nexus of Cerberus Activity" reference something ("sightings...", "activity..."), and it makes sense that they're referencing Cerberus. According the Greek mythology Cerberus guarded the gate to hell and ensured that spirits of the dead could enter, but none could exit. The third notation says the Black Rock is in the same area as the primary nexus - which Rousseau called the Dark Territory. In "Exodus, Part 1" and "Exodus, Part 2", we saw the Black Smoke Monster in that area twice.
- CADUCEUS STATION BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN ABANDONED DUE TO AH/MDG INCIDENT OF 1985 OR: POSSIBLE CATASTROPHIC MALFUNCTION OF CERBERUS SYSTEM:
This suggests that the Cerberus System is dangerous and can malfunction, which is a strong indication that it may be the name of the Black Smoke Monster
- ALLEGED LOCATION OF #4 - THE FLAME. BUT UNLIKELY DUE TO CERBERUS ACTIVITY:
Another notation suggesting that the Cerberus System is dangerous.
- PRIMARY NEXUS OF CERBERUS-RELATED ACTIVITY.:
Many of the notations around this area seem related to the Cerberus system.
- SIGHTINGS COINCIDE WITH EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN OF INTRANET SERVICES, PERIODS OF HEIGHTENED SECURITY:
This may be an indication that the Cerberus System becomes active and aggressive when the DHARMA INTRANET services shut down, possibly indicating that the Cerberus System may be partially computer-controlled, but can act independently.
- KNOWN FINAL RESTING PLACE OF MAGNUS HANSO/BLACK ROCK.:
Is it a coincidence that the nexus of Cerberus System activity is around the Black Rock and resting place of Magnus Hanso?
- ACTIVITY MINIMAL DURING LOCKDOWN AND RESTOCKING PROCEDURES:
The Cerberus System seems to be much less active during the lockdown (supply drop) and restocking periods of the Swan.
- SUBTERRANIAN CONDUIT?:
The Black Smoke Monster seems to mostly travel below ground, so if it is the same as the Cerberus System, a subterranian conduit in the primary nexus of the Cerberus's area is logical.