Lost/Hearts and Minds
Hearts and Minds is the thirteenth episode of the first season of Lost, and is the thirteenth episode overall.
Boone's growing jealousy over Sayid and Shannon's friendship threatens to erupt in violence - until Locke steps in. Drugging Boone, Locke leaves him stranded in the jungle, where he must not only confront his feelings for his sister but also the menacing creature that stalks him from the shadows.
Starring: Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Maggie Grace (Shannon), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Malcolm David Kelley (Walt), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (Locke), Harold Perrineau, Jr. (Michael), Ian Somerhalder (Boone).
- Boone gives Sayid a "friendly suggestion" - stay away from his sister, Shannon. Sayid asks him what if he doesn't, but before Boone can answer Locke calls him away. Away from the others, Locke tells Boone he needs to put his differences aside with Sayid, that he's very competent and they don't want to make an enemy of him, that they're going to want him on their side. Locke tells him the hatch is their priority. At the hatch, Locke and Boone try to figure out how to open it when it has no handle, no latch, no discernable way of opening it. As Boone is looking the hatch over, Locke is creating a mixture in a bowl. He asks Locke what it's for and Locke tells him it's for later. Walking back from the hatch, Boone tells Locke that they're going to have to tell them what they found. Locke tells him they're not ready, they won't understand it. Boone tells him that he has to at least tell Shannon because he can't keep lying to her. Locke asks him if he's thought through the ramifications and, with Boone's back turned to him, knocks him unconscious with the handle of his knife. When Boone comes to, he finds himself tied up. Locke applies the mixture in his bowl to Boone's head wound and tells him he's doing this because it's time for him to let go of some things. He leaves a knife in front of Boone, tells him the camp is four miles due west, and leaves. Shortly after, Boone hears Shannon yelling for somebody to help her and that she's tied up. He then hears something roar, and Shannon yells to him that it's getting closer. Boone strains against his bindings and manages to reach the knife and cuts himself free. He frees Shannon and the two hide from the monster in a stand of trees. Once they think it's passed, Boone and Shannon try to find their way back to camp. Boone finally gives in and tells Shannon what he and Locke were doing on in the jungle. The monster reappears and the two try to flee, but Shannon is nabbed by it and flung into the air. Boone follows a trail of blood and finds Shannon's dead body on some rocks along a stream. That night Boone makes it back to camp and tries to attack Locke, but he pins Boone. He tells Locke he killed his sister, but Locke tells him to calm down and asks him why there's no blood on him. A short distance away they see Shannon and Sayid walking together. Locke tells him that he gave him an experience that he believed was vital to his survival on the island, that it was only as real as Boone made it. He asks Boone how he felt when she died and he tells him he felt relieved. Locke tells him it's time to let go, and the two walk off into the jungle.
- Out in the jungle, Jack finds Kate collecting passion fruit seeds. He asks her what they're for and she takes him to a garden Sun started on her own. Alone in Sun's garden, Kate talks to Sun about how she was on her way to Bali but somehow ended up on a flight to L.A. and tells her she guess it falls under the category of be careful what you wish for. Sun smiles at her joke and Kate realizes she understood her - she speaks English. Sun asks her not to tell anyone. She tells Kate that only Michael knows that she can speak English and that she took English lessons in Korea. She hasn't told Jin because she loves him. Kate agrees to keep it a secret.
- On the beach, Hurley and Jin are fishing. Or at least Jin is, as Hurley is unsuccessful in his attempts. Frustrated, Hurley tells him he's won and decides to leave, but he steps on an urchin. Jin rushes over and helps Hurley out of the water. Hurley is insistent that Jin needs to pee on his foot to "stop the venom", but Jin adamantly tells him "no". After Hurley calms down, Jin gives him some sort of shellfish to eat. Hurley thinks it's some kind of payback for not eating the urchin the other time, but Jin agrees to give him a fish if he eats it. He downs it... and promptly throws up.
- Out in the jungle, Sayid creates a makeshift compass. Locke sneaks up on him and tells Sayid he's taken the afternoon off from hunting and asks him what he's doing out there. Sayid tells him he's orienteering and trying to figure out Rousseau's maps with his makeshift compass. Locke hands him a compass and tells him that it may help his cause, that he doesn't need it anymore. Later, Sayid is in the jungle with Jack. Sayid asks him which way is north and Jack, using the sunset as a point of reference, points in the direction that north is. Sayid tells him he's correct, but pulls out Locke's compass and shows him that north is in another direction. A minor magnetic anomaly might explain a variance of only a few degrees, but it wouldn't explain how off the compass is.
- Flashback: Boone
After finishing up a game of tennis with a young woman, Boone gets a phone call on his cell phone - it's Shannon and she tells him things aren't good and that she's in Sydney, Australia.
In Sydney, Boone arrives at her house and Bryan, the man she's seeing, answers the door with Shannon just behind. Shannon asks him what he's doing there, telling him that she and Bryan are about to head out to meet some friends and that he should give her a call tomorrow. She runs in her hand through her hair, revealing a bruise on her forehead, and Boone leaves.
Boone goes to the local police station for help, but the officer tells him they need a little more to go on and can't help. In the background, we see Sawyer being dragged into the police station asking why nobody wants to hear his side of the story. The police officer asks him why, if she's his sister, her last name is Rutherford and his is Carlyle. Boone tells him that she was married, but not married anymore. Rutherford is her father's name and their parents got married when he was 10 and she was 8 - Shannon is his step-sister, no blood relation. The officer, again, tells Boone they can't help him, so he leaves.
Boone goes to a dock at the harbor and talks to Bryan. He tells Bryan he wants him to break up with Shannon, that he'll give him 25,000 US dollars and that he's the third guy that's been paid to leave her. Bryan tells him he loves her... but his love for her is worth closer to 50,000, and Boone writes out a check.
Later, Boone arrives at Shannon's house to get her and her things. But Bryan shows up and tells Boone that Shannon set him up to get what she's owed, that she told him Boone's mom screwed Shannon over after he father died and kept all the money to herself. Boone turns to Shannon in anger, but Bryan beats him up while Shannon yells at him to stop. Boone gets up and leaves.
At Boone's hotel room, Shannon shows up drunk and tells him Bryan took the money and left. She tells Boone that she knew he'd bring the money because he's in love with her and has always been in love with her. She moves closer and kisses him, and the two begin making out on his bed. Later that night Shannon tells him that, when they get back to L.A., he should just tell his mom that he rescued her again and then they'll just go back to what it was. Boone tells her, "Like it's all up to you."
- What is inside the hatch?
- Why is Locke's compass off (is it defective or is there something else)?
- Locke and Boone found a hatch out in the jungle. (1x11 - All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues)
- Sun starts a garden to help grow food for the survivors.
- Locke and Boone uncover the hatch and try to figure out how to open it.
- Kate discovers Sun's secret, that she can speak English. She helps Sun with her garden.
- With Locke's help, Boone is able to move on in regards to his sister.
Behind the Scenes
- Location, Location, Location: The police station Boone visited was actually empty retail space in downtown Honolulu. The Australian marina Boone visits to bribe Shannon's boyfriend was filmed at the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor in Honolulu.
- Ratings: On its original airing this episode scored 22.7 million viewers for ABC, being the highest rated series of the night among all networks.
Allusions and References
- Sayid: I brought you a present for helping me with the translations. I didn't have a chance to get it gift wrapped, so... [gives her a pair of purple sandals] I found these in the wreckage, and I have no use for them personally.
Shannon: They're actually my size. Well, half a size off, but I swear, this place is actually making my feet swell.
Sayid: Another mysterious force on the island revealed.
- Jack: What have you been eating?
Hurley: You know, the usual: bananas, papayas, mangoes, guava, passion fruit, coconut, some of those weird star fruits from up on the hill. Someone said they'd be good for digestion. Let me tell you, they lied.
Jack: Well, it might help if you had a little bit more protein in your diet.
Hurley: Dude, what can I do? There's no boar. No boar, no protein.
Jack: You can eat fish. Jin's been catching a lot of them.
Hurley: No way, man. That guy has it in for me.
Jack: Come on...
Hurley: I'm not kidding! He offered me something to eat, like, right after we, you know, got here. Um... it's that thing with the spikes.
Jack: Sea urchin.
Hurley: Yeah, when I turned him down, it's like I, uh, I soiled his family honor or something. He hasn't looked me in the eye since. The guy holds a serious grudge.
- Locke: Lodovico Buonarroti. Michelangelo's father, he was a wealthy man. Had no understanding of the divinity in his son, so he beat him. No child of his was gonna use his hands for a living. So Michelangelo learned not to use his hands. Years later, a visiting prince came into Michelangelo's studio and found the master staring at a single 18-foot block of marble. Then he knew the rumors were true, that Michelangelo had come in every day for the past four months, stared at the marble... and gone home for his supper. So the prince asked the obvious: 'What are you doing?' And Michelangelo turned around and looked at him and whispered... 'I'm working.' Three years later, that block of marble was the statue of David.
Boone: We're not gonna stare at this thing for four months, are we?
- Hurley: Jin! Yo, Jin! Uh, alto! Listen, man, I know you don't like me 'cause of the sea urchin thing. That's okay, 'cause I'm not asking for any favors. Just let me know where you get the fish. Fish. Just point me in the right direction. I'll take care of my own business with my own tools.
Jin: [speaks in Korean and walks off]
Hurley: You just said something mean, didn't you?
- Hurley: I stepped on a friggin' urchin! Ow! You understand me?! You understand infection?! Gangrene?! Amputation?! Ow! My foot!
Jin: [speaks Korean]
Hurley: Oh. Ow! Oh, you gotta do something for me.
Jin: [speaks Korean]
Hurley: You're gonna have to pee on my foot, man. It'll stop the venom. I saw it on TV. Just do it! Ow! No, just pee on it, man! You need to pee... Pee on it! Pee on my foot! I'll lose... Just do it, I'll lose my foot if you don't! Just pee, PEE ON IT!
Jin: No! No!
- Locke: What are you doing out here, Sayid?
Sayid: Orienteering. I'm trying to make something of Rousseau's maps, but...
Locke: There's nothing to make.
Locke: Well, you made a compass. I haven't seen one of those since I was a Webelos.
Sayid: What's a Webelos?
Locke: It's halfway between a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout.
Sayid: And what does a Webelos do?
Locke: Gets badges mostly. Ties knots, identifies birds. I wasn't the most popular kid. I'll leave you to it. Here. [hands Sayid his compass] Maybe this will help your cause.
Sayid: Don't you need this?
Locke: Not anymore.
- Jack: Haven't seen you around the caves lately.
Charlie: I needed a change of scenery.
Jack: How're you doing, Charlie?
Charlie: How am I doing? With week two of heroin withdrawal, or how I'm doing with Claire being abducted by the freak who tried to kill me?
Jack: I gave you the aspirin for the heroin withdrawal. What do you think his story is?
Charlie: Who? Locke? The guy's a freak of nature. Highly disturbed. Chances are he probably killed all his mates in the post office the day his mom forgot to put a cookie in his lunch tin. That was my first impression, anyway. And then he saved my life.
Jack: So you trust him?
Charlie: Trust him? No offense, mate, but if there's one person on this island I would put my absolute faith in to save us all, it would be John Locke.