Lost/Do No Harm
Do No Harm is the twentieth episode of the first season of Lost, and the twentieth episode overall.
Locke leaves the seriously injured Boone at the caves, forcing Jack to take heroic measures to save Boone's life. Unaware that her brother's life hangs by a thread, Shannon spends the night on a beach with Sayid. As their relationship evolves, Boone's condition worsens. Jack's abilities are further put to the test as Claire goes into an unexpected labor.
Starring: Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Emilie de Ravin (Claire), Matthew Fox (Jack), Jorge Garcia (Hurley), Maggie Grace (Shannon), Josh Holloway (Sawyer), Malcolm David Kelley (Walt), Daniel Dae Kim (Jin), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Evangeline Lilly (Kate), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie), Terry O'Quinn (Locke), Harold Perrineau, Jr. (Michael), Ian Somerhalder (Boone).
- Jack treats Boone's severe wounds with Kate and Sun. He sends Kate to the beach to get all of Sawyer's alcohol. Boone lost a lot of blood and requires a blood transfusion. Boone is able to tell him he's type A negative, but Charlie can't find anyone who is A negative and Jack is forced to use his own blood, type O negative. During the transfusion, Boone comes around and tells Jack that a plane fell, that they found a hatch and Locke told him not to tell, and passes out. Jack realizes that all the blood is pooling in his leg and that Boone didn't fall, something crushed his leg. He enlists Michael to help him remove Boone's leg, but Boone stops him before he can and tells Jack he's letting him off the hook and to let him go.
- After grabbing Sawyer's alcohol, Kate runs into Claire in the jungle - she's having the baby. Kate yells for help and Jin finds them. Kate sends him off with the alcohol to get Jack. Jin arrives at the caves, but Jack is in the middle of giving Boone a blood transfusion with his own blood. Jack tells Charlie how to deliver the baby and sends him and Jin back to help Kate with the delivery. Claire is worried her baby knows she was going to give it away and won't want her, but Kate talks her through it and delivers a baby boy.
- In the morning, Claire and the group return to the beach and the other survivors crowd around her to see the baby. Hurley points out Shannon and Sayid to Jack, who're returning from a night on another beach. Shannon goes to the caves and cries over the body of her brother. Kate asks Jack if he wants to talk about Boone, but he tells her he didn't die... he was murdered by John Locke.
- Flashback: Jack
Jack is looking his friend, Marc, over in his tuxedo. He tells Marc he can back out, but he tells Jack it's just a stupid speech he's giving. The tux shop owner comes in and tells the groom, Jack, it's his turn.
At the wedding rehearsal, Marc hands off the mic to the Sarah, the future Mrs. Jack Shephard. Sarah tells the gathered audience that, a little over two years ago, her tire blew out and she was hit head-on by an SUV when her car flipped into oncoming traffic. Her back was broken and the doctors said it was irreparable, but Jack promised he would fix her. Jack is the most committed man she's ever known and, because he fixed her, she will dance at their wedding.
At the hotel bar, Jack plays a piano as Sarah enters. The two play the piano together and Sarah tells him he doesn't have to through with the wedding if he doesn't want to. Jack tells her he wants to, but he just hasn't thought up the right thing to say for his vows. He looks towards the hotel entrance hoping to see someone, but a stranger gets out of a taxi. Sarah tells Jack that he's going to come and goes back to her room. Later that night, Jack ends up at the hotel pool with his feet in the water and drinking a bottle of alcohol. Christian Shephard shows up behind Jack and asks him how the water is before sitting down and dipping his feet in. Jack tells him Sarah wants them to write their own vows, but he can't write his. He tells his father he worries that he might not be the husband, or father, that he wants to be. He's worried that he asked Sarah to marry him because he saved her life. Christian tells him that commitment is what makes him tick, but he's just not good at letting go.
At their wedding, Jack gives his vows to Sarah. He tells everyone that he didn't write any vows, that he couldn't. But he tells Sarah that he didn't fix her, that she fixed him. He loves her and always will.
- What happened to Jack's marriage with Sarah to cause them to get a divorce?
- Boone succumbs to his injuries and dies.
- Claire gives birth to a baby boy.
Behind the Scenes
- Location, Location, Location: Jack and Sarah's wedding was filmed at the Kahala Hotel & Resort in Honolulu. As of March 1, 2006, this property is no longer operated by the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group and is under new management.
- Nielsen Ratings: On its original airing this episode scored 16.5 million viewers for ABC, being the highest rated scripted series of the night.
Allusions and References
- Episode Title: It is widely believed that the phrase "do no harm" is part of the Hippocratic Oath. However, this is not the case. Hippocrates did write in Epidemics that one should, "Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things—to help, or at least to do no harm."
- Kato: In this episode, Sawyer refers to Jin as "Kato." Kato is a character from The Green Hornet. He is The Green Hornet's bodyguard, driver and sidekick.
- Sarah: Those girls are checking you out.
Jack: You're in your pj's.
Sarah: Indeed I am.
Jack: Are they cute?
Jack: The girls who are checking me out.
Sarah: Mm... One of them's kinda cute. The other one's just trashy.
- Kate: Where's Jack?
Charlie: Couldn't come.
Kate: What do you mean he couldn't come?
Charlie: He's pouring his own blood into Boone's arm right now.
- Christian: "My heart skips beats at the sound of your voice, my skin warms to the touch of your fingers. Where you go, I will go..." Et cetera, et cetera. This is- This is very nice.
Jack: Those aren't my vows. Those are hers. I stole them out of the room. I can't write mine.
Christian: Yeah, well, you're a doctor. You're not a writer.
Christian: Right. Sarah is a beautiful girl.
Jack: Hell yeah, she is.
Christian: Love her?
Christian: Then why are you sitting out here?
Jack: What if I can't be the husband... or the father that I wanna be? What if I asked her because... because I saved her life? Should I marry her, Dad?
Christian: Commitment. It's what makes you tick, Jack. The problem is, you're just not good at letting go.
- Kate: Want to talk about it?
Jack: Talk about what?
Kate: Boone died, Jack.
Kate: He didn't die. He was murdered.
Kate: What? Jack. Where are you going?
Jack: To find John Locke.
- Overall Grade: N/A with 0 reviews
- Review Breakdown: A+: 0 A: 0 A-: 0 B+: 0 B: 0 B-: 0 C+: 0 C: 0 C-: 0 D: 0 F: 0
- Be the first to review this episode!